Saturday, January 31, 2009

Cheap Dates

Years ago, I worked at a gas station in the evenings to make some extra money. When you work in retail, you start to notice things about people. Like when I worked at a coffee shop, I started to refer to customers as their drinks…..”oh here comes Large-white-chocolate-latte-extra-hot-half-sweet”. At the gas station, it was what kind of cigarette they smoked. I noticed this married couple coming in every monday. They each had a quarter and would select some penny candies or liquorish They never once went over the budget. They sat at our not-so-fancy sitting area with unattractive fluorescent lights above, talking for hours as they chewed on their candies. Every monday night, I looked forward to seeing them. It was so sweet. Fancy dates are nice. I won’t deny I like it. But cheap dates warm my heart so much more. Maybe because it’s so unpretentious and you really have to like each other to go on cheap dates.

No comments: