Saturday, January 31, 2009

Believe


Maya’s school had a “Polar Express Day”, where they used the movie as a learning tool. At the end of the day, Maya along with other children got a little silver bell in their coat pocket. When I saw her after school, she was bursting with excitement that she’s got an “unbelievable surprise”. It was obvious that she truly believed that the bell was from Santa’s sleigh just like the one in the movie. She treasured the bell. My kids have unwavering faith in Santa as well. Mona is certain that she will get a radio from santa this year. They have had countless friends tell them that santa was not real or dead, but it doesn’t matter to them. If you think of it though, from the perspective of a parent who always try to fight against the consumerism and keep things simple, it is an expensive process to keep the wonder and magic of Christmas. But I love it. I was telling Scott last Christmas that we are living in the ‘golden years’. Pretty soon, they will lose their faith in Santa, tooth fairy and alike. But for now, we take it all in and I want to remember the every moment. The squeal of delight. The joy bursting out of their whole beings. Soon this too will be the thing of the past.

I found Maya’s letter to Santa yesterday. 10 days before Christmas. She really wants a weaving loom. We talked about it but decided that we would wait till her birthday. Scott and I looked at each other and knew we had to do something about it. Seems so silly, I know. But I made a phone call today to Santa’s little helper. Now, I’m keeping my fingers crossed and saying a little prayer for a speedy delivery from Canada Post, oh I mean, Santa.

No comments: