Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Girl's Festival



I was reminded by one of the blogs I read that today is the Girl's Festival (Hinamatsuri) in Japan.  It is a celebration of spring as well as the special time of the year to honor daughters--prayers are offered for their health and happiness, special dolls displayed and festive food prepared and shared by families.  I have 3 daughters, but I don't think I have even thought of Hinamatsuri until now.  Perhaps due to the fact our ground here is still covered with a foot of snow and we see no sign of spring.  

Once in a while, I yearn for my girls to have the appreciation and connection to their heritage.  I really haven't done a good job of passing that onto them though.  They speak more Spanish than Japanese, thanks to Dora the Explorer.  We have no Japanese friends here.  

I said a little prayer for my girls today in honor of the Girl's Festival.  I hope and pray that one day, we can walk through the cobbled stone streets lined with cherry blossoms and share the memories of the days gone by.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Japanese heritage is such a special thing. I didn't grow up with any cultural/ethnic traditions at all, and I've always been somewhat envious of those with a distinct heritage. You should start celebrating girls day! It sounds wonderful!

Di said...

I linked to your blog from over at Good-ness. I love the photos of the cherry blossom! The idea of a girls festival is a nice one!

I am off to Japan in 3 weeks so I'll be posting photos on my return! I hope the cherry blossom season isn't too early this year.

I will be back to visit your blog again soon!