Saturday, January 31, 2009

Coming Home


I’ve had a long and passionate love affair with the sea. I can’t even remember how it started. I envision myself one day being an old lady with bare feet with flowing skirts who lives by the sea. Perhaps a dog and a basket to gather whatever I can find to self sustain me. Yes, I can gut fish, build a fire, and am learning a few tricks to attain a green thumb.

When I was little, my dad used to take us to the sea. I remember wearing a cheap plastic snorkel and sticking my head under water. I loved the way the sun sparkled and distorted the rocks and sand under water. I remember seeing some beautiful creatures–yellow and blue striped fish. I love being in a place where all my senses get stimulated. And the sea does that for me. I love the smell of salt water, sound of waves crashing, the vastness and the wonder of what lies beyond. I certainly love the taste of what comes out of the sea. And most of all, I love what the sea does to my heart, spirit and soul. Peace, Serenity, and calm.

I am anticipating a trip to the sea. Very soon. I can hardly stand it. I can almost feel the warmth of the sand between my toes. I am determined to bring home some treasures. An agate is a must. Hoping for a sea glass. Once I saw these very simple bracelets made out of rubbery beads. The clerk told me that they were made out of pieces of flip flops that were washed up on the shore of Kenya, coming from Australia. Fascinating. What story lies beneath their beauty…like sea glass and even the flip flop beads. Who owned it? Were they sad when the wave took it away? How long has it been tumbling in the sea? I love feeling the connection to the past and to the unknown world.

When I am at the sea, the time stops. The sea heals me and energizes me, calms me and centers me. I close my eyes and I can almost hear the waves crashing. I’m coming home–very soon.

*for Dave, Carolyn & Em*

No comments: