Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Respect

So, after what I said about parenting in the previous post, here is something that I do feel strongly about and probably never change my mind about.

Respect.  It's really important to me that my children become people who respect all things.  Respect towards other people--friends, older people, younger people, respect towards living things, animals, insects and environment.  Respect towards other's opinion, property, feelings.  I can go on.  I say this because I am noticing that we are living in the age and the culture where respect holds very little value.

In the last week, I had several opportunities to tell other people's children that they should get off the road and play/ride their bike on the sidewalk.  On all these occasions, I tried to be kind and non-threatening in the manner I approached the children.  But all of them just gave me a very defiant "NO".  I was stunned and speechless.  What do you do then?  Do I just say, it's not my kid, so I shouldn't care if they get run over by a car?  

I really hope that my children would respond "Yes", under the same/similar circumstances.  I mean, I really hope in the first place, they would not be playing on the road.  But if someone approached them to tell them something important, I hope they have the heart to receive their advice and willing to say sorry and admit that they've been wrong.  Maybe this is where the modeling becomes very important.  

No comments: