Friday, January 8, 2010

Christmas......still thinking


“Many of us find we are trying to recreate some mythical Christmas that exists only in our minds. We’re left feeling dissatisfied by trying to recover the dream of childhood."--Oz Lorentzen, Director of King’s Fold Retreat & Renewal Centre

I used to hate Christmas, because that is exactly what I tried to do. I used to have one of those crying juvenile hissy-fit, usually around December 12th. I didn't know how to get that "Mythical Christmas". But a couple of years ago, not sure what changed, but I quit trying so hard and just let things happen. Contentment is such a HUGE thing. Instead of trying to MAKE traditions, listen to the kids and they will tell you what is important. Instead of trying to make 25th the perfect day, I try to enjoy the process of getting ready, and being ready in our hearts. We really enjoy observing advent with our kids. We have children's advent calendar with Christmas stories we read.

"Are you ready for Christmas?" What an awkward question!! It only means do you have everything bought, right? This year, we didn't decide what we were doing until 2 days before even having to change plans so we didn't get to do what we really wanted to do. But we felt completely at peace and content with what Christmas is going to be. We had a quiet Christmas with a small roasted chicken. Perhaps not the "perfect" Christmas by others' standard. No relatives, No turkeys.

I can truly say we have peace, joy, hope and Love. All those things that Christmas really represents. We have them not only at Christmas time but all through the year. And I am grateful for that change in my life. I LOVE Christmas. Not really sure exactly what it is that made this change for me......will let you know when I discover.

No comments: