Saturday, January 8, 2011

Me and Myself and I

*The Picture is of my friend Paula and I on my birthday this year. I requested a "Tacky Tourist Hike" with some of my girlfriends, and we were very successful at it. :)
I was rather awkward and shy in my early twenties. I don't think I knew who I really was, and cared too much about what others thought. Wasn't very good at small talks, but had the superpower of being invisible at social gatherings. A few years later, under a different circumstance, I had the chance to hang out with a friend I went to college with but never had the chance to get to know back in college. One evening, we were taking a drive out to watch a play together, he said to me, "If I had known that you were so much fun back in college, I am sure we would have hung out so much more back then". That really was a turning point in my life. I was so insecure back then, but what he said to me helped me realize that I have lots to offer. That was almost 15 years ago. Now, in my late 30's, I can honestly say I am at peace with who I am. I am completely a different person than I was then and yet so much the same. I tell my friends now that if they had met me 15 years ago, they probably wouldn't have liked me. :) I am growing and learning so much about myself and how I fit into my little corner of the world. This makes me very optimistic about the years ahead. I look forward to growing and changing. I look forward to meeting more people and deepening the friendships I treasure now. Life is so great, I remember thinking, that I got it all figured out, but my goodness, how wrong I was! When I am old, I still want to try something new, try new food, and skip rocks in the river, I want to get to know young people, I want to take ballroom dance lessons in my 60's or even 70's! Life is sweet, and I don't want to miss a thing.

5 comments:

just sayin' said...

:)

Ashley @ Root And Twig said...

I knew you way back when. I liked you then, and I like you now. But you're right: you've changed and grown in confidence!
Tacky Hike sounds fun!

Ashley @ Root And Twig said...

Oh, and this beautiful blog reminded me of your unique self. I thought you'd enjoy seeing this lady's amazing intricate art- if you haven't already:
http://weefolk.wordpress.com/

Krista said...

I like you now....and I am glad I know you now....and I hope I know you when you're fifty or 60 or 70. Because I think you will be fun!
.....but I also cherish you because I can talk to you about things I am passionate about and you don't think I am crazy.

Carolyn said...

I know several people in their 60s, 70s, 80s who are still moving about, even dancing and doing yoga... :-)